The River Thurne above Potter Heigham Bridge 1960s. The wherry moored on the left is probably the “Lord Roberts”.
Potter Heigham and the Bridge Hotel 1960s.
Another postcard of Potter Heigham Bridge from the 1960s.
Looking downstream on the River Thurne towards Potter Heigham Bridge 1960s.
The River Thurne at Potter Heigham c1960. The boat moored in the foreground is W818 “Broadland Pintail” from Ripplecraft of Somerleyton and Herbert Woods Broads Haven yard can be seen on the right.
The view from the tower at the Broads Haven yard in Potter Heigham, looking across to the River Thurne c1960.
Another view of the Broads Haven yard, taken from the footbridge across the entrance to the mooring basin, and dating from the early 1960s. The cruiser in the foreground on the left is A315 “Spray” from Turners of Horning.
The River Thurne near Potter Heigham 1960s.
Potter Heigham c1970 - the new road bridge can be seen in the background.
Broads Haven pictured in the 1960s. In 1965 the yard and fleet were purchased by the Caister Group which was owned by Tom Watson. The company amassed the largest combined fleet on the Broads with the purchase of several boatyards during the mid to late 1960s, including Herbert Freeman at Beccles, Easticks at Acle, and the Jenners and A.G. Ward fleets at Thorpe. The Caister Group sold out to Ladbrokes in the early 1970s when they, and other large corporations such as Rank and, later, Guinness moved in to cash in on the massive boom in boating holidays on the Broads.
An unknown pleasure wherry from Horning, pictured moored near Potter Heigham Bridge c1906.
This postcard shows the stores on the corner of Station Road and Bridge Road/Ludham Road at Potter Heigham c1905. The stores were owned by James Watts who, alongside the general groceries and provisions, also sold boots and shoes, drapery, haberdashery and medicines. The building was extended over the years and is now the village Post Office.
This postcard of the riverside at Potter Heigham dates from 1908.
Potter Heigham Bridge and riverside c1910. George Applegate’s boat yard can be seen by the bridge on the left.
The Bridge Hotel at Potter Heigham c1910 which was sadly destroyed by a fire in 1990.
Sailing on the River Thurne at Potter Heigham c1910-1920.
The boatyard of George Applegate Junior, thought to be pictured c1910. George Applegate senior had built the boatsheds and started his boat hire business in the 1880s. The yard was taken over by Herbert Woods after the Second World War, although he continued to operate it under the Applegate’s name.
This postcard of Potter Heigham was posted in 1919, although the photograph possibly dates from a little earlier, and was taken from what is now the edge of the Herbert Woods boatyard. The boat shed seen on the right had been owned by the Norfolk Broads Yachting Company who formed in 1897. The yard was managed by the boat builder Walter Woods (father of Herbert Woods), when the NBYCo went into liquidation in 1917 Walter purchased the yard and began to operate it under the Walter Woods & Sons name. Herbert took over the company after his father died in the 1920s. The site is now home to the Phoenix Fleet and the bridge pilots office
Riverside bungalows on the Thurne at Potter Heigham c1919.
This postcard shows the Potter Heigham village pageant c1920. In his book “Life In A Norfolk Village”, published in the late 1940s, Charles Carrodus makes mention of the Potter Heigham pageant of 1907 which was held on the same day as the village’s regatta on marshland between the Falgate Inn and the Bridge.
A view of Church Road in Potter Heigham dating from the 1920s - many thanks to David Sandell who contacted me to identify the location.
The Bridge Hotel with Walter Woods and Sons boatyard in the foreground c1920.
Potter Heigham Bridge c1925.
On The River Thurne at Potter Heigham 1930s.
An aerial view of Potter Heigham c1930s.
The Bridge Hotel at Potter Heigham c1930s when the licensee was Ethel Barnwell.
This postcard of the Bridge Hotel also dates from the mid 1930s.